Wednesday, August 9, 2000

Surfing in Taiwan

Before I came to Taiwan I scoured the internet and found amazing pictures of perfect surf conditions. I google earthed every city and examined the water from a bird's eye view, trying to figure out where the best waves were, and where I could live and get from my house to the beach in about 30 seconds and still get to work with in about 10 min. I decided this would be possible in Yilan, a smallish county on the northeastern coast of Taiwan. It was a place that looked like it plenty of work possibilities close enough to commute to from the ocean.

I love longboarding and what I found when I arrived here horrified me. Yes, I live less than a block from a secluded beach that I love. But the waves are not really suitable to longboarding- they pretty much get steep, dump, then fade away into oblivion. Not exactly great unless you love pearling.
I have since bought a shortboard and while I think the beach near my house might be good for some decent (if short) rides on a shortboard, my skill level with the short board is not quite there yet (although I have had some good rides and am improving). With howling onshore winds, the conditions are rarely what you'd call good. The only surf spot that's decent and shielded from the wind around here is wushigang (you can find this at magicseaweed.com under china) and it is unbelievably crowded.

I also got some good waves in Taidong one weekend but besides that the surf here (in Yilan) hasn't really been satisfactory to me, and probably won't be for you either. There are good waves somewhere on this island, you just need a car to find them.

I have learned, though, that for me it's mostly just important that I can paddle out every morning. Guess I've picked up some zen from living in the east, but I'm not as agro about not getting good waves as I was when I first got here.

So yeah, if you love the ocean, and are content just to paddle out every day, this might be the place for you. If you are going to want to smash something or someone for every day you paddle out and the waves suck...might not be your place.

However, if you are a male, age 27-33, have a great sense of humor, are intelligent, love your mother (but not too much or in an oedipus kinda way), like reading, are kind to children and animals, athletic and aren't just coming to Taiwan to bonk Asian women, come on over, the waves are great! We can paddle through the soup together. jk
Here's a little vid of summer surf in Yilan county. If it doesn't thrill you, you prob will want to look somewhere else for better waves...

No comments:

Post a Comment