Sunday, August 13, 2000

20,000 (or $607.40 US) training reimbursement BS fee

Here is a link to a post that gave me a lot of courage when I was quitting Hess(for some reason can't get it to light up as a link so copy and paste if you are interested). It is the fourth post on the page: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69755&start=20 Thank you, guy in Taiwan =)
Anyways, here's my story about the 20,000 fine. so far I know several other people who've quit Hess and none of them have had to pay it.

I told the HNST (western manager) that I was quitting, giving them over a months notice (in which time there was another kindergarten performance. If I really wanted to screw them over I would have left before the performance was completed) I asked my manager if they would be deducting the 20,000 nt training reimbursement fee from my paycheck. I told him that I would be happy to pay the percentage that felt I owed (1/6 of the fee, because I had completed 10 months of the 12 month contract) He said he'd have to check on it. A couple of days later he called me and said he was sorry, but even though nobody at the branch wanted to charge me the full fee, it was up to Taipei Main Office, so I would have to pay the full 20,000.
(other reports have stated that it is up to the branch managers to decide whether to collect the fee. Once again, the merry go round with who is really responsible for things and who you're really dealing with.)

I replied that it was illegal for them to take it from my paycheck, and I was pretty sure that the contract I had signed and scanned and emailed to them was not legally binding, so I told him I would be fight paying the fee, and bring whatever government officials into it that were necessary.

He said, "Don't tell me now what you're going to do in the future, just think about it a little bit."
I said "I already know what I'm going to do, and I'm going to fight it."

I knew hess didn't have a legal leg to stand on- I'd been teaching kindergarten illegally, there was the whole question of emailed contract legality, and the fact that I had very nearly completed the entire contract. I was just curious whether they would take it out of my last paycheck, because after working the minimum hours for hess for the previous months, I was a little low on cash, and would need that cash until the first paycheck of my new job.

A couple of days later the branch manager and I had a nice heart to heart. He really seems like a reasonable guy and I wish I had talked to him more instead of going through my HNST. He said that he felt that the problems I'd had were the branches fault as well as my own, so they would not be charging the fee. I said I would be happy to pay 3333 nt because I hadn't finished the last two months. He said that was nice.
And that was it.
So, current Hess employees who are scared to quit because of the training reimbursement fee---
The fact of the matter is that they can't legally take it out of your paycheck, and all they can do is harass you to give it to them. You can refuse, and if they pursue you bring in the appropriate authorities and they probably won't want to deal with it what with all the illegal kindy teaching going on. If you say you'll fight it, they'll probably leave you the heck alone.

Out of principle, I think it's fair to pay part of it, or the percentage that you owe if you are near the end of your contract. Training does take a lot of time and money on their part. I just wanted to pay that little bit so that I could have it settled in my own mind about whether I had done the right thing or not. And technically I hadn't even signed a 12 month contract because while in Taiwan I had only signed a six month kindy contract...but what the heck it was nice of them to put me up in a hotel for the training...

Anyways, don't be scared, do what you have to do. You may have signed a contract, but they don't own you.

7 comments:

  1. Since you had almost finished your contract, why didn't you just finish and save yourself a lot of trouble?

    The Hess people probably set up that - If you don't finish the contract, you'll have to pay for your training - rule to give people some incentive to go for the whole monty, so to speak.

    And you were complaining that they didn't ship your surfboard! Okay, if they said they would ship your surfboard, they should have done that. But I'm not surprised that didn't happen because it's such an unusual request.

    Honestly, you sound very spoiled and immature. You simply didn't have the emotional stamina, the social skills, the real world, some times you just have to bite the bullet and do things that you don't want to experience to trek to the other side of the planet and be a teacher, working for a company full of people that are doing their best to run their company AND take care of teachers from other countries.

    I don't mean to pick on you, but seriously, I imagine you will have more problems with whatever company you work for. You're just too spoiled and your expectations simply aren't realistic enough for the everyday world.

    Anthony in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Anthony. Everybodies entitled to their opinions, and since you expressed yours, I'll express mine. Again.

    I've been working at my new job for three months and absolutely adore it. I've had no complaints, reprimands, or any problems feeling over-worked.

    I've worked full time since I was 17, and have never hated or felt lied to by employers like I did with Hess.

    Every friend that I have who is currently working for Hess or has previously worked for Hess complains bitterly about it every time I see them, especially the people who work at my old branch.

    Hess has a truly terrible reputation in Taiwan- I didn't know why before I came here, now I do, and I wished that I had had a blog like this to tell me why I wouldn't want to work for them. I've written it, and I hope it helps some people.

    If you haven't had experience working for Hess, I don't think you have room to speak. If you have, please feel free to share your experience. I admit early on in my blog that some people have wonderful experiences with Hess, and it would be fine with me if you post your experience here to give some balance to this blog.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer your question, I quit because a great job came up and I honestly didn't think I could handle two more months. I tried to improve my attitude and my situation for ten months then realized that it just wasn't a good fit. I left them at a time when I knew they had enough teachers to take over for me and the kids and other teachers wouldn't suffer.
    One more thing...
    As for the character analysis, you've probably got me pegged. Much as I try to hide it, my spoiled and immature side always comes shining through. But I stand by what I've said in this blog and even though I'm spoiled and immature with unrealistic expectations (and the list of my flaws goes on, believe me)I'm still glad I wrote this blog to warn others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps- I think there's a very real possibility that this Anthony in Minneapolis most likely works for Hess in Taipei. Of course I could be wrong but I do know they search the internet and try to put out fires when they can (and thanks to google analytics I know computers from Hess main office have spent a lot of time on this site) feel free to mention my blog when you reject a Hess job offer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped reading Anthony's smear post when I read "honestly I think you're spoiled," etc.

    As many English teachers in Taiwan are, Anthony in Minneapolisis suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome, a condition where a victim identifies with the party that is abusing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm quitting HESS in 1 month. They're pulling this shit with me, too.

    They're telling me that the 20,000 is covering my stay at the hotel, the free food I had, and the cost of training.

    However, article 28 of the Labor Standards Act says it is flat out illegal to deduct wages from any Employee for punitive damages or indemnity. Well, their laundry list of "fees" embodies what "indemnity" actually is.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm quitting HESS in 1 month. They're pulling this shit with me, too.

    They're telling me that the 20,000 is covering my stay at the hotel, the free food I had, and the cost of training.

    However, article 28 of the Labor Standards Act says it is flat out illegal to deduct wages from any Employee for punitive damages or indemnity. Well, their laundry list of "fees" embodies what "indemnity" actually is.


    ReplyDelete