Friday, August 11, 2000

Dating in Taiwan

(This is what I've found in Yilan, which is perhaps a more traditional place...Taipei may be very different.)

Gentlemen, you're in luck.
Foreign guys here don't seem to have a problem meeting and dating attractive local women. Even if no one would touch the guy at home he seems to do okay here =) I often see socially awkward western men with extremely beautiful Taiwanese women. I think there's a certain poetic justice to it- they're probably great guys who were ignored in their own countries, and now they're happy- good on em! I just hate the guys who have multiple girlfriends and mistreat and lie to them. May karma come and hurt them badly

Ladies, we have a tougher time. Most of the foreign guys are *ahem* busy, and not really interested in the western women who they may feel have been snubbing them for years. Can we blame them? Taiwanese women have a couple of things up on us. They're usually thin (I've met 45 year old women with cuter figures than mine, and I'm considered thin in America), they have nice skin, shiny hair, and let's not forget that a language barrier, while often a hindrance, can sometimes be a blessing in romantic relationships. And this may sound like a terrible generalization but I think they're generally sweeter than us. For example, a guy might do something, anything. My response would probably be "You're a dumbass." A Taiwanese girls response might be "Aw, you're cute." Just an observation...
As for Taiwanese men, there are some who are extremely attractive, but in the case of western women dating Taiwanese men, culture seems to work against us rather than for us. There are other factors to consider as well, but I won't go into those- let's just basically say that if you're a girl, and especially if you're a girl who is used to being hit on every once in a while, your self esteem might take a little hit here. Sometimes I kick myself for spending the last years of my 20's in a country where for all intents and purposes I may as well be an 80 year old Grandma...well, at least I lived in Italy in my early 20's. I got hit on enough for the rest of my life.

All of this is of course a generalization- I am sure somewhere there is a foreign woman and a Taiwanese man who are having a great relationship. I just haven't met them.

Anyways there is the rare foreign man who, for whatever reason (they enjoy witty banter, they like a challenge?), is still into western women. =) I salute you, and thank you =D

No comments:

Post a Comment