Thursday, January 15, 2009

The rest of a kindy lesson

Okay I'm getting sick of the long descriptions of a kindy lesson and I'm not sure anybody wants to read it in that much detail anyways.
Basically after breakfast we'd begin English Time. I'd usually start by singing a song to get them all settled together, then we'd go into the new vocabulary. Each week maybbe 5-7 new words were introduced, along with a new sentence pattern. For example: "How do you go to school?" to which they answered "I go to school by schoolbus (or bicycle, car, scooter, etc.) After the first day when I introduced the words and the correct pronunciation for them, I would pretty much let the kids take turns 'teaching'. They would go up, holding the flashcards, and say "How do you go to school?" and the class would answer together "I go to school by (whatever's on the flashcard)". The kids paid attention well because they wanted to be the next 'little teacher'.
3 or 4 kids could be little teacher, doing 3 flashcards each, then we'd play a game.
After that, there was a song about the new sentence pattern and vocab words. These songs come on a Hess cd. They're usually pretty decent- however any hess teacher will wake up singing these songs in their head, go to sleep with them in your head, ride your scooter with the songs in your head, etc. Occupational hazard.
We'd do another bathroom break, then come back for either numbers or letters. (letters mon weds fri, numbers tues thurs) This involved a lot of chanting "AA, ah ah ah this is an apple" etc. Usually after a day or two of introducing a new letter, I'd play a game in which I held flashcards for the new letters behind my back, wrote a childs name on the board and had them come up and pick a flashcard. Then I'd erase the first letter of their name and re-write it using the new letter. for example 'Judy' became 'Rudy'. The kids adored this game and I think it's one of the main reasons that they really got the point that each letter makes a different sound.
After letters or numbers there was another song and then there was 'story time' with a Hess story book. The books were okay but a lot of times I would bring in my own childrens book- because you were supposed to read the same book every day for a month, bleh. (of course at this point I didn't know about the 'I Love Reading' competition, in which students recited the hess books.)
After story time another bathroom break, then 'fun time' which could take a lot of preparation time. Usually it was time for an art or craft.
Hess provides a 'fun time' book with lots of great ideas for fun time activities. However, if I did all of those I would have spent hours and hours in preparation and lots of my own money since my branch wouldn't buy fun time materials. So I ended up using the time to practice performances, I love reading, etc. (I'll explain I love reading and performances later) I also made obstacle courses for the children to do- with trampolines and balance beams and balls and hula hoops etc. They loved that, and since I feel that the typical Hess child gets too little exercise/play time, I made this a priority.
Anyways, that's a kindy lesson. every day, five days a week, 2 - 2 and a half hours a day.
I loved kindy, and I actually think the Hess kindy curriculum is pretty decent. but I wish I'd had a little more freedom to do things my own way (my friends who taught kindy at other schools did have more freedom and I believe their kids learned more natural english as a result.)

No comments:

Post a Comment