Friday, January 16, 2009

Breakfast

I'd end sharing time by asking a child what song he wanted to sing (roughly half the time it was Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, I have no idea why...) and after we sang it, I'd say, "Alright, it's time to go get your pink bowls then line up!"
Hess provides bowls and utensils for each child. My co-teacher was amazing, she somehow got all of those children to be able to quickly get their bowl and set it up at their place on the tables. They could also get their shoes, toothbrushes, art smocks, etc. in a timely manner. These kids were 3 and 4 years old, and there were 22 of them. My co-teacher was a modern miracle of efficiency. I can not praise that woman highly enough.
So all of the children would scatter to go get their bowls.
I would stand by the board and when a child had their bowl on the table and was in line, I would give them a 'star' and publicly commend their speediness.
I had taken a picture of each kid on my first day teaching them, and under their picture was their name. Under their name was a box. I would put 'stars' in the box when they did something good.
A part of me kind of hated being part of this machine that communicates to children that their worth hinges on how well they follow directions/please other people etc., but in a classroom of 22 kids, you've got to have some form of rewards system. These kids lived and died by their 'stars'. Often when I noticed a child wasn't paying attention, I could see that they were silently counting their 'stars'. For every five stars they got during a day, they would get a sticker. Some kids went home with 3 stickers nearly every day.
Fairly quickly I replaced the regular 'star' with letters. Every day we'd choose a word of the day, for example 'trees' or 'water'. I liked to use five letter words cause it made for easier counting at the end of the day when I was doling out stickers. I also tried to use words that were at least somewhat phonetic because then I could reinforce the sounds that went with the letters.
Anyways I'd say something like, 'Oh my goodness, look at Oscar! He got his bowl out and he is first in line! Now Oscar already has 3 stars. He has a 't' an 'r' and an 'e'. Wow Oscar!!!! He almost has the word tree!" and so on. I wanted to use the kids natural obsession with the stars to reinforce other concepts that we were learning. By the time I left many children were already sounding out words on their own (at age 3 or 4, in their second language). Kids are amazing.
After the kids were lined up, we went to the bathroom- usually pretending to be an airplane, car, frog or dog on the way. Of course the bathroom time was more time to learn- while the kids were waiting or washing their hands we would talk about colors they could see, shapes they could see, etc.
Then we'd all go back to the classroom for breakfast. While they ate I'd try to model as much natural language as I could, and sometimes would work individually with kids who were falling behind. (nothin like learning english vocab with a mouth full of cereal!)
I'm not going to lie-sometimes I would get so sick of my own voice that I wanted to gag myself. But I only had 2-2 and a half hours 5 days a week with these kids, and the key to learning a second language is exposure. So it pretty much means talking all day. whoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment