Friday, April 10, 2009

Schedule change

When I arrived in my branch, it was actually pretty sweet- they had a little pizza party for us, and I really liked my new co-workers. I decided to put Hess main office behind me and focus on loving my branch.

I believe I arrived on a Thursday. Two of my co-workers (a Canadian and an American) had graduated from initial training a week before me and had been 'observing' more experienced teachers for a week. I was told that I unfortunately wouldn't get to observe much because I was late (which was ironic because I'd actually asked if I could come to the earlier training group and they said no.)

So on the following Friday, I watched my new co-worker teach her first kindergarten class, and on Saturday, I watched a more experienced teacher give an oral test to his students.
(an oral test is comprised of asking about 20 different students the same 7 or 8 questions individually- not exactly a real example of teaching)

I met my kindergarten class on the Friday before I began work, and fell instantly in love with them.
“Ask them 'what's your name'” said the exhausted looking teacher I was taking over for.
“What's your name?” I asked one little girl as she came toward me. She stared into my eyes and then ran off screaming. This little game was repeated by several of the students. They couldn't seem to stop staring at my eyes- I later found out because they're blue. I was so stoked to meet these little kids. I loved teaching kindergarten.

Anyways, I was then shown my schedule. Teach kindy 8:30 am til 11:30 Monday through Friday. Then on Monday Wednesday and Friday, teach TreeHouse from 4:30 till 6:30. On Tuesday and Thursday, Jump from 4:20 till 6. Then, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights, a different class every night from 6:40 till 8:30.

“This is going to need to change,” I said to James. If he sensed that I would be trouble then, he had no idea how much.
“It can't be changed.” he told me.
“I need it to be changed. Kindy can be from 2 till 4, can't it?”
“No.”
“Yes it can. That would have been one of my classes if I had contract C.”
“Maybe we can change it in a few months.”
“If it changes in a few months, I won't be here to see it change.”

yeah, I wasn't making any friends. I did, however, get a phone call over the weekend telling me that my schedule could indeed be changed and I could start Kindy at 2 pm. That was actually really cool of the branch and I'm still grateful that they were flexible on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment